Sunday, March 8, 2015

That one time I ran a Marathon...

March 7, 2015
3:34:19 Marathon!


So, yesterday was one of the hardest. longest, and most fulfilling days of my life! I accomplished my new year's resolution and not only ran my first marathon but I got a Boston Qualifying time as well! It was an incredible experience so I thought I'd share some thoughts on my journey. (P.S. I don't know why I'm standing so pigeon toed in the above pic! haha)

Here are some things I learned along the way:
#1) Make sure you get to the starting line on-time! We were running a little late and all the roads our GPS was telling us to go on were blocked off for the course!!! I ended up sprinting a mile to get to the starting line just as all the runners were starting! Talk about STRESS and adrenaline! This really messed me up mentally as I felt like giving up before I even started because I was in the very back of the race. Luckily, I caught up:)

#2) "Swish and Spit". My stomach can't handle a lot of gatorade on my runs or else it cramps up. I used this technique my friend taught me where I would sip water but only swish and spit the gatorade instead of swallowing a lot of it. This worked really well. I of course used my Gu gels, but with water only, and saved myself a tummy ache and that sloshing feeling of too much liquid.

#3) You might feel terrible the days before the race...and that's ok! Don't freak out! I felt terrible on my last easy, tapered runs of just a couple miles and it really messed with my head! I started to doubt my ability to run a good pace, or complete the race at all. I found out though,  that I can do hard things and that I accomplish what I set my mind to. This gave me a huge confidence boost and a memory I'll call upon in other situations in life where I feel inadequate or scared to try something new.

#4) Don't go to the Medical Tent just for a bandaid. I had a huge blister on my heel that I had felt from about mile 18. I knew we didn't have any bandaids back at the hotel so I wandered into the medical tent to get a bandaid, and maybe some tylenol. All of a sudden I found myself on a stretcher with 2 interns, a nurse, and the overseeing Sports Physician testing my vitals! I kept trying to assure them that I felt fine but they insisted on making me lie down and they asked where I was sore. After a massage, wrapping my legs in ice (see photo below), and a closely monitored bottle of water intake and salt pellets, they finally let me go. Was it nice to be so fussed over? Yes:) The worst part though? I left the medical tent forgetting to grab a bandaid!:)


#4) Lastly, Go to IHOP post race!!! Um, running makes me so hungry---I can out eat Ben! Easily. (That embarrasses us both, actually:)) Nothing hits the spot quite like IHOP. I probably ate enough to cover most of my caloric expenditure! (At least the pancakes were whole wheat, right?) Seriously though, this was so good!


Anyway, today is Sunday and i've been settling into the "Post-Race Blues". I'm tired, sore, hungry, and all I want is to run again:) BUT I am excited to give my body some rest and focus on other things for awhile. Thanks for reading!!!


I'm not the only one who likes to run around here:)




No comments:

Post a Comment